Johnny from Airplane! Teaches us About Effective User Adoption Teams
Who do You Need on Your User Adoption Team?
We are often asked, "Who should I put on my User Adoption team"? In the clip below, we see all the "contributions" that Johnny makes to the team. Is he adding value along the way? Does having Johnny on the team help or hurt you? Does Johnny have the skills he needs to help, does he not care, or does he just not have a clue?
Apply What You Learned: Building a Great User Adoption Team
Effective User Adoption teams require a range of personalities, skills, and expertise. You will need subject matter experts and leaders ("Get me Rex Kramer"), people to do the hard work, and yes, people with personality to be the glue to hold them all together. However, if people do not have the skills or are unable or unwilling to make any substantive contribution, you may need to make some changes.
Pay careful attention to the people on your User Adoption team and make sure they are adding value. Sometimes you need people who look at thinks differently (like Johnny - who else could make hat, a brooch, or a pterodactyl)? These people can bring the ingenuity you need and provide laughs in the face of stress. ...but make sure they are actually adding value and not just taking up space.
Best Practices & Key Questions
- Have a variety of personalities, perspectives and skills on your team
- Do you have people who can look at things differently and find creative solutions on your team If not, how would your team be more effective if they had more diversity?
- Do you have a "Johnny" on your User Adoption team? Do they help or hurt your team? If they are not add value to your team, why not? What action do you need to take to improve your team?
- Have clear leaders and experts in User Adoption on your team
- Do you have a "Rex Kramer" on your User Adoption team? Is this person an expert in User Adoption and have the leadership skills to guide you through a tough patch? If you don't have a full-time Rex Kramer, do you have access to a Rex Kramer that you can call on in when needed?
- If you don't have a Rex Kramer, how will you get one? Will you hire one? Is there someone in your organization that can learn to be User Adoption subject matter expert?
- Take the User Adoption Challenge to see what specific user adoption issues you face on your IT project
- Contact Tri Tuns to learn about our User Adoption Seminars and how they can help you build an effective User Adoption Team
Tell us what you think
Was this a "teachable moment" for you? What did you learn? What else can this clip teach us about improving user adoption? We want to hear from you - please add a comment below.